Re: usb devices in domU

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:29:24PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> I have used xen extensively but never with domU access to usb devices.  Currently, however, I would like to set up a domU (windows in this case) that has access to a usb device.  NetBSD is the dom0, of course.  Is it possible to pass through usb devices directly?  Must a usb controller be passed through as a pci device?  Is this goal even achievable?
>
> Thank you for any help you can offer.  If possible I would greatly appreciate any config file examples that illustrate this.

It should be possible for a HVM guest.
In the guest's config file:
usb=1
usbdevice=[ 'tablet', 'host:09fb:6001' ]

09fb:6001 being the vendor and device ID or your USB device
in dom0. You may need to disable drivers in dom0 so that
your device is attached to ugen (I don't remember).

This has worked for me at last with Xen 4.1. The above was to
pass the Altera USBblaster to a linux guest where I could program the
FPGA with altera's tools. It did work, but was very slow ...