Re: Installing Linux guest...

Well I figured out how to make a Debian PV guest install properly from
minimal .iso installer.  The issue was getting the xvd* major,minor
numbers right.  I wrote a script mkvdisk for preparing an image disk and
created /etc/skel/xen.* files for netbsd, debian, and centos.

During the install, /dev/cdrom is changed to /dev/xvdc; xvda is used for
/ and downgraded to ext3, since I read that pygrub doesn't yet work with
ext4 file system; xvdb used for swap.

Once the installer has prepared the image, I simply comment out the
entry for the .iso and the VM is ready to go without further changes.

I've tried this with the Centos 7 minimal .iso, but it doesn't work
(yet); pygrub fails to find the kernel for some reason.

---xen.debian---
name = "{DOMAIN}"
bootloader = "pygrub"
memory = 2048
vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0' ]
disk = [
        # Use for phy: types...
        #       hda = 0x300, hdb = 0x301
        # Use for file: type...
        #       xvda = 0xCA00, xvdb = 0xCA10, xvdc = 0xCA20, xvdd = 0xCA30
        #       xvde = 0xCA40, xvdf = 0xCA50, xvdg = 0xCA60, xvdh = 0xCA70
        'file:/home/iso/debian-7.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso,0xCA30,r',
        'file:/spare/xen/{DOMAIN}/vdisk0,0xCA00,w',
        'file:/spare/xen/{DOMAIN}/swap,0xCA10,w',
]

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
                        Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters