Re: installing a 4.1 DOMU

On 16.07.2012 21:14, Brook Milligan wrote:
> - The INSTALL_XEN3PAE_DOMU kernel seems to think that the root
> filesystem is readonly.  Consequently, disklabel fails and the
> installation cannot be completed.  However, within the same system a
> manual installation can be completed just fine.  Is this a deficiency
> with setup in some way?

What do you mean by "within the same system"? Mounting vnd0a and
installing the system inside?

> - Once the system is installed, it does not seem to find the root
> filesystem properly.  During booting the kernel gives the following
> message
>
> boot device: <unknown> root device:
>
> If 'xbd0a' is manually entered (and defaults accepted for the
> following prompts for dump/init/etc.), the system will boot fine.  My
> xen config file has the following lines:
>
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vnd0a,hda1,w' ]
> root = "/dev/xbd0a"
>
> How is the root filesystem supposed to be defined?

"root = xbd0a" is enough, but usually this is not needed.

> - If I try to use the root filesystem file directly (instead of via
> vnd0), i.e., with the following line in my xen config file:
>
> disk = [ 'file:/export/xen/solanum.img,hda1,w' ]
>
> no console is created and 'xl create -c solanum' yields the
> following:
>
> xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

The domain is probably not created, and as such the tty path cannot be
found in XenStore.

Most common errors:
- specifying a network bridge that was not created before launching the
domain
- using the image file as a partition, rather than a disk. This can lead
to all kind of weird errors, like EROFS when attempting to overwrite the
disklabel.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost