installing a 4.1 DOMU

I am trying to install a xen4.1 DOMU from pkgsrc and am having a bit of
trouble getting it all set up properly.  The root filesystem is a file
presented to xen via vnd0.  Specifically, I am having troubles with the
following when I create the domain with 'xl create -c solanum':

- The INSTALL_XEN3PAE_DOMU kernel seems to think that the root filesystem is
readonly.  Consequently, disklabel fails and the installation cannot be
completed.  However, within the same system a manual installation can be
completed just fine.  Is this a deficiency with setup in some way?

- Once the system is installed, it does not seem to find the root filesystem
properly.  During booting the kernel gives the following message

        boot device: <unknown>
        root device:

If 'xbd0a' is manually entered (and defaults accepted for the following prompts
for dump/init/etc.), the system will boot fine.  My xen config file has the
following lines:

        disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vnd0a,hda1,w' ]
        root = "/dev/xbd0a"

How is the root filesystem supposed to be defined?

- If I try to use the root filesystem file directly (instead of via vnd0),
i.e., with the following line in my xen config file:

        disk = [ 'file:/export/xen/solanum.img,hda1,w' ]

no console is created and 'xl create -c solanum' yields the following:

        xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

Any help with xen4.1 is greatly appreciated.  A few details seem to be
different from xen3 so I'm getting hung up.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook