Re: NetBSD/xen goes off the network - reproduceable

On Feb 20, 2012, at 15:45 , Brian Marcotte wrote:

>> Have you noticed any messages about "mclpool limit reached: increase
> I'm quite familiar with that issue, but that's not the case here. Running
> out of NMBCLUSTERS can happen with any NetBSD machine, not just under Xen.

Sure. Ok, so your problem is something else, fair enough.

> I can only reproduce my current problem under Xen. I've tested versions
> from NetBSD 3.1 through -current (last month).
>> I should also note that in my case I also lose the console and only a
>> power cycle will help.
> I don't remember that being the case the last time I had the NMBCLUSTERS
> problem. Did you try sending the console break sequence to see if you
> could get a DDB prompt?

Unfortunately not. For some reason it seems to happen mostly to servers that
are seriously far away and inconveniently located. But next time for sure ;-)

>> I've addressed this the obvious way by increasing the number of
>> NMBCLUSTERS to 16384 (from 2048) and sofar that seems to do the trick.
> I never run with less than 8192. Most of my machines are 2-4 times that.

Yes, that's what my kernels use these days, too.