Re: Qualified success building -current EC2 AMI

On 29.01.2012 13:00, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
Hi all,

(sorry for this late reply, but I am reading my mails infrequently ATM)

I managed to build a working NetBSD-current EC2 AMI by following the
instructions at

   http://wiki.netbsd.org/amazon_ec2/build_your_own_ami/

Running the ATF tests didn't crash it, so I was able to close PR 45028.
They did turn up a couple of other oddities, though:

Good to know that my writing were not utterly useless :)

1. Several kernel module related tests failed, apparently because
no modules were installed.

Which is expected under Xen domU. We still have a binary problem with those, and had not the time to track it down.

2. The util/t_dd:length test failed because the /dev/fd directory was
empty; the test ended up creating /dev/fd/5 as an ordinary file.

Was fdesc mounted?

Also, I noticed that the pre-built AMI (ami-c4ef1dad) uses a different
AKI and block device mapping than the instructions:

   Pre-built AMI: aki-4e7d9527, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb
   Instructions:  aki-427d952b, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2

Why are these different, and should either the pre-built AMI or the
instructions be updated so that they match?

The former. I have finished writing scripts that will be used to update NetBSD's AMI in an automated way, without putting any prerequisite on a pre-existing NetBSD AMI in a region.

Those pre-built AMIs will soon disappear and be updated to more recent versions (that also include security fixes).

Please note that IDs (AKI or AMI) can be different from region to region, including the ones from Amazon.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost