Re: FreeBSD HVM+PV boot hangs with phy: run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xenbusb_nop_confighook_cb

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 01:35:18PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > If I create a FreeBSD VM and use file:, XENHVM will boot to completion.
> >
> > If I vnconfig that same file, then it will hang. On lvm storage it will
> > also hang.
> >
> > So it seems to be related to using phy:.
>
> It could be because with file:, the backend driver uses a vnd device attached
> to the file while qemu-dm opens the file directly. In the phy: case, both
> qemu-dm and the backend driver wants to open the device, and this may be
> denied by the kernel.

OK, I understand the problem now:
the block device backend driver wants a block device (e.g. /dev/vnd0d).
qemu-dm wants the raw device (e.g. /dev/rvnd0d). We should pach either
qemu-dm to add the 'r' to the path, or xend to do so.
My feeling it that's it's easier to do in qemu-dm at this time (we can
do a stat(2) first to see if the given path is a block device, and hack the
path if it is).