Re: Linux HVM domUs crashing

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:31:13 +0200
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:13:43PM +0100, Gerard Lally wrote:
> > I get the following, but Googling this I see you consider these
> > harmless:
> >
> > Failed to read /local/domain/0/device-model/1/script (No such file
> > or directory)
> >
> > Failed to read /local/domain/0/backend/console/1/0/script (No such
> > file or directory)
> >
> > I am just writing the error messages down at the moment because I
> > don't have a shared writable partition.
> >
> > Another error I get is this, which perhaps isn't so harmless:
> >
> > Attach vnd0d
> >
> > vnd1 dos partition I/O error
> >
> > Does this mean anything to you?
>
> looks like it has problems reading the first sectors of vnd1.
> Maybe it's a sparse file ?
>

> > > Also set ddb.onpanic=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf to get more infos in
> > > case of panic.
> >

> > Done, but I can't get back into NetBSD till tomorrow morning.

> > > Scientific Linux PV is running fine for me ...
> >

> > I would of course much prefer SL 6 and Debian 6 as PV domUs. Do you
> > mind if I clarify the following?
> >
> > Is it enough to extract the kernel and ramdisk from the DVD ISO and
> > put them in NetBSD / or do I need to download a separate Xen kernel
> > and ramdisk from the SL/Debian website? Will the same kernel work
> > for domU installation and daily use? I have even tried compiling a
> > vanilla kernel and ramdisk, which works for my Slackware domU but
> > not for these other distros.
>
> For SL5, I use the kernel and initrd from 5x/i386/images/xen/ for
> install. Once installed, I use pygrub to load the xen kernel from the
> domU's disk image (the installer installs the right kernel and initrd
> for xen).
>
> I installed only one SL6 guest for now; I don't remember which
> kernel/initrd I used to start the installer. Probably one from
> 6x/i386/os/images/pxeboot/ or 6x/i386/os/isolinux/

Thank you so much for your help. I now have Slackware AND Scientific
Linux 6 running as PV domains! The problem for me was that I wasn't
using pygrub for SL6. It makes it so much simpler. Bit by bit I am
learning!

I am very, very happy with NetBSD and Xen. I am not nearly as
knowledgeable as the people here but I am enjoying learning this
operating system very much. Thank you to all concerned!

:)

--
Gerard Lally