Linux HVM domUs crashing

I'm trying to get Debian and Scientific Linux HVM domUs going. I have a
Windows XP domU and a Slackware PV domU successfully booting. I can't
get Debian/SL working as either PV or HVM domUs.

For HVM I am using the example HVM config found
in /usr/pkg/share/examples/xen.

Here is my debian.cfg, for example, with comments stripped out.

------------
kernel = "/usr/pkg/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
device_model = '/usr/pkg/libexec/qemu-dm'
builder='hvm'
name = "debian"

memory = 768

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:13, bridge=bridge0, type=ioemu' ]

disk = [ 'file:/vnode/debian.img,ioemu:hda,w', \
        'file:/mnt/wd2a/debian.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r' ]
boot='d'

vnc = 1
vncunused = 1

usb=1
usbdevice='tablet'
------------

I created the disk as follows:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/vnode/debian.img bs=1m count=12288

I start this domU as root from an xterm:

xm create /usr/pkg/etc/xen/debian.cfg

I use TightVNC viewer to bring up a screen which shows me the Debian
installer waiting for me to select Install or Graphical Install.

As soon as I click Install a ramdisk seems to load and then the whole
computer crashes - domU, dom0, the lot. The computer reboots.

The same thing happens with Scientific Linux and Zenwalk Linux HVM
domUs.

The only Linux domU I am able to get working so far is a Slackware PV
domU. I tried Debian and Scientific Linux PV domUs as well but I had no
success.

Would somebody kindly advise me what I am doing wrong? I thought HVM
domUs would be straightforward compared to PV domUs.

--
Gerard Lally