Re: call for testing: xen 4.1 packages

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 09:51:08AM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:

> Get the packages from
> http://www.netbsd.org/~cegger/xenkernel41.tar.gz
> http://www.netbsd.org/~cegger/xentools41.tar.gz
>
> Unpack them in pkgsrc/sysutils/
>
> Get the file http://www.netbsd.org/~cegger/buildlink3.mk
> and put it in pkgsrc/devel/ocaml-findlib/
> before you install the xentools41 package.

With the latest version, xenkernel41 boots fine with a 5.1_STABLE dom0 kernel.
xentools41 builds fine exept blktap2. Do we have a blktap2 driver for
NetBSD dom0 ? If not, maybe we should just disable blktap2 on NetBSD for now ?

> In /etc/rc.conf add:
>
> xend=YES
>
> Differences to earlier xen versions:
>
> xenbackendd=YES is no longer needed in rc.conf.
>

> I highly recommend the use of 'xl'. xl is basically 'xm' rewritten in C.
> The syntax and usage of xl is equivalent to xm.
>
> xl does not require xend to run.
> xl requires xenstored and xenconsoled to run.
> xend no longer starts them automatically.
> The xencommon start script starts xenstored, xenconsoled and xenbackendd.

there is no xencommon script inclued with your package.
I started xenstored, xenconsoled and xenbackendd by hand.
Then xl complained that there was no /var/run/xenstored.pid; indeed there
was none while xenstored was running properly.
I created one with touch and now xl is happy:
borneo:/home/bouyer/pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools41#xl info
host                   : borneo
release                : 5.1_STABLE
version                : NetBSD 5.1_STABLE (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Fri Nov 26 17:44:37
CET 2010
bouyer@roll:/dsk/l1/misc/bouyer/tmp/amd64/obj/dsk/l1/misc/bouyer/netbsd-5-clean/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/XEN3_DOM0
virt_caps              : hvm hvm_directio
total_memory           : 8051
free_memory            : 7685
[...]
free_cpus              : 0
xen_major              : 4
xen_minor              : 1
xen_extra              : .0
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
[...]

xl create complains with:
borneo:/usr/pkg-xen33#xl create -c /usr/pkg/etc/xen/nb1
Parsing config file /usr/pkg/etc/xen/nb1
cannot open the lockfile /usr/pkg/var/lib/xl errno=2

this should probably be changed to /var/run

after creating /usr/pkg/var/lib, I get:
borneo:#xl create -c /usr/pkg/etc/xen/nb1
Parsing config file /usr/pkg/etc/xen/nb1
Daemon running with PID 3096
xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
borneo:#xl console nb1

xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

xl list shows the domain running, but I'm not sure if it did boot or not.
xl top shows it at 100% CPU; I see xvif1.0 has been added to the bridge
but I can't ping it.
there is a qemu-dm started:
qemu-dm -d 1 -domain-name nb1 -nographic -M xenpv
its log file has:
domid: 1
Warning: vlan 0 is not connected to host network
-videoram option does not work with cirrus vga device model. Videoram set to 4M.
/home/bouyer/pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools41/work/xen-4.1.0/tools/ioemu-qemu-xen/hw/x
en_blktap.c:628: Init blktap pipes
/home/bouyer/pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools41/work/xen-4.1.0/tools/ioemu-qemu-xen/hw/x
en_blktap.c:603: Created /var/run/tap directory
Could not open /var/run/tap/qemu-read-1
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xs_read(): target get error. /local/domain/1/target.
(qemu) (qemu) xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device
xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
can't open gnttab device

I used the same xen config file as xen33; is there something that needs to
be changed ?

> xm is marked as supported but deprecated in Xen 4.1.
> Future versions of Xen no longer support xm (it will be removed).

xm more or less works for info, list and top. create fails with:
borneo:/var/log/xen#xm create -c nb1
Using config file "/usr/pkg/etc/xen/nb1".
Error: need more than 1 value to unpack