Re: Xen 4.x for NetBSD -- status?

On 03/28/11 07:57, Adam Hamsik wrote:
> On Mar,Monday 28 2011, at 3:20 AM, Dustin Marquess wrote:
>
>> I would LOVE to have 4.x working with NetBSD.  I'd love to help, but
>> it's far outside my ability to do.  I've had to move my NetBSD/Xen
>> machines to XCP.  While it works, I don't like the setup near as much.
>> The NetBSD dom0s just felt cleaner and even faster.
>>
>> I'm not sure what replacement you'd find for Xen.  I think a
>> from-scratch replacement like the Linux guys did with KVM would be a
>> huge mistake.
>>
>> -Dustin
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Mick Russom
>> <mickrussom%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
>>> Yes, I have grave concerns as I have been tinkering with Xen 4 and NetBSD
>>> for
>>> some time and getting nowhere.
>>>
>>> I would really, really like to see some work done With NetBSD and Xen 4.
>>>
>>> Either that, or toss Xen out the window in favor of something else.

Hello,

Excellent news about the 4.1 package!

Of course Adam, no problem.You know everyone appreciates the work. It's
not like us bunch is in any position to demand ;-)

Personally, I have been using NetBSD for about 2 years now (a certain
other BSD for much longer) and one of the main (constructive) criticism
I have of the project is that there seldom seems to be a status report
on the evolution of functionality, from a user perspective. Things tend
to look stalled, unless you look at commits and then the story is
(usually) different.

Eventually the whole $thing appears, and it tends to work and do what
it's supposed to do. But maybe in the mean time we had to migrate to
another OS because there was no clear picture as to when $thing would be
available.

I'm offering my opinion on the matter only as a suggestion for
improvement. I think NetBSD is a great project with friendly developers
and a friendly community and an important role to play. Xen dom0 for
instance is a role that sets it apart from the other BSDs.

I think I speak for most of us users when I say that we wouldn't mind
writing documentation and examples for new code, and of course test it.
Maybe it would be as simple as making wiki.netbsd.org editable by
everyone. I don't know.

That was slightly off-topic. Maybe it'll generate a constructive debate,
maybe it won't. In any case, good news about the 4.1 package. Will be
waiting with a predatory look :)