PV domU console not working?

xenkernel33-3.3.2nb1
xentools33-3.3.2nb3

running under NetBSD-5 amd64 DOM0.

/usr/pkg/etc/xen/milo has:

        kernel = "/usr/pkg/lib/xen/boot/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU"
        extra = "console=com1 com1=9600,8n1"

among other things.  (I also tried console=xencons0 with the same
results.)

attempting to start up the console:

        # xm create -c milo
        Using config file "./milo".
        Started domain milo
        : AMD 686-class, 3000MHz, id 0x100f42
        xenbus0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Bus Interface
        xencons0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Console Driver
        xencons0: using event channel 2
        xbd0 at xenbus0 id 768: Xen Virtual Block Device Interface
        xbd1 at xenbus0 id 5632: Xen Virtual Block Device Interface
        xennet0 at xenbus0 id 0: Xen Virtual Network Interface
        xennet0: can't read mac address, err 2
        xennet0: using RX copy mode

and nothing else comes out.

HVM with VNC works OK, but it's my understanding PV kernels are slightly
more performant.

this seems a bit like port-xen/40675, but that was all supposedly pulled
up to xen 3.3.2 ?

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost