Re: TLS/lwp_private support

On 11 May 2010 09:26, Nicolas Joly <njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost> wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 09:48:25PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> attached is a patch to properly implement %fs/%gs handling on amd64.
[...]
> Applied on my Sony VAIO laptop which has Intel CPUs, it make the
> compat linux works. While most binaries crashed before, they now seems
> to work just fine. Great !
>
> In the mean time, this seems to break 32bit compats. Both netbsd32 and
> linux binaries don't go anywhere except in a loop eating all CPU.
[...]

I also tried the patch on an Intel Core i5 and had a similar
experience.  I could get further than before with 64-bit Linux
binaries coming from a 64-bit Linux partition mounted at /emul/linux
and ran with a fake raised kernel version.  Graphical programs
eventually failed because they could not connect to the X server,
complaining about the socket type being wrong for the protocol or
something similar (which I did not figure out how to get around).  But
this was already quite promising, considering that with an unpatched
kernel they just dump core.

On the other hand, as Nicholas Joy said, previously working 32-bit
binaries stop working and just use 100% cpu with his patch.

Thanks,
Pouya