Re: time keeping

Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
Hello

Sorry if I missed an important piece of documentation, but here is the
question: how am I supposed to keep clocks in sync with NetBSD/xen?

I run ntpd on dom0 and domU, and the clocks always drift. I resync
manually when I have several minutes of difference, because it starts
producing bugs, but I am certain this situation is not normal and there
is a fix.
Here is my ntpd.conf:
pidfile /var/run/ntpd.pid
driftfile       /var/db/ntp.drift
logconfig       -syncstatus
tos     minsane 2
server  ntp.example.net

The only machine that has good timekeeping is the NTP server itself. It
is a xen domU and it uses ntp1.jussieu.fr and  chronos.cru.fr as the
underlying stratum servers.

This NTP server seems to work, since clients can sync using ntpdate. But
on the long term, clients ntpd will never keep the clock in sync.

I've had issues in the past but can't remember the details. In the end my dom0 became the main time server with all domu being peers with dom0 and the tos minsane set to 1 for all domu.

As dom0 theoretically is the first server to start and the last to stop, with the added benefit of an rtc, this made sense to me ... at the time :)

Sarton