Re: Slower transfers on XEN

"Marcin M. Jessa" <lists%yazzy.org@localhost> writes:

> I have an AMD64 server running NetBSD 5.0.2 with two 500Gb IDE drives.
> The drives are raided with RaidFrame and Raid 1. The FFS file systems
> are mounted with log option.
> Copying large files i noticed I get about 6-7 mbit/s when running Xen
> and about 10-11 when running GENERIC kernel and scping to the same
> file system.
> I had to disable ACPI on this server as well.
> Any idea why there is this dicrease in performance ?

My experience was

  RAID1 (raidframe) for dom0 fs
  UFS2 fs for backing files
  files created with dd (zero-filled, non-sparse)

I remember dimly

  70 MB/s read from raw raid device
  ~10% less read from file on dom0
  ~10% less than that read from 'raw device' on domU (rxbd0d)

so your 6-7 vs 10-11 seems like too much.  try the above 3 tests and
post the real numbers.