Re: Setting up vnd devices for disks

On 3/15/10 9:51 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Louis Guillaume<louis%zabrico.com@localhost>  writes:

Ok - I get the overall way the block devices or files are mapped into
the guest machines. But I'm still confused here:

I can create a regular file and make it available as a disk using

   disk = [ 'file:/srv/xen/host-disk0,0x1,w' ]

... as you described. But why do we need the vnd device? Just
accessing the file itself does the trick for domU. Is some
vnconfigging going on automatically that I don't know about? I can

Yes, the startup script finds a vnd and vnconfigs it and points the domU
at the vnd.  This is far easier than doing it explicitly.  see the logs.

Aha! And I can see an active vnd while the guest is running too.

This is the missing detail for me: "xm create" does the vnconfigging for us. Thank You!

Now if only we had a resizefs command! :)

Louis