Re: Migrating from x86 to amd64 Dom0 with x86 DomUs

Den 13.03.2010 15:00, skrev Steven Bellovin:
On Mar 13, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:

Hi guys.

I've a Dom0 which runs on Intel x86 without virtualization on NetBSD 5.0 STABLE.
The version of XEN I'm using is 3.1.4

I want to move my setup to a server with dual AMD Opterons which don't support
AMD-V™.

My questions are:

- Can I upgrade my XEN 3.1.4?
- Will I need a PAE kernel for my Dom0 ?
- Can I run the 32 bit DomUs on a 64 bit Dom0? And if it's possible, what
kernels would I need then (PAE, non-PAE)?

I contemplated doing that, but decided to replace my disks as well, so I just
built a new system elsewhere instead.  I can probably dig up the advice I
received if you want.

I think, though, that if you switch to an amd64 kernel you'll need an amd64
userland as well.
Maybe I was not clear enough. The new system with Dom0 will be installed from cratch with amd64 userland and kernel. I just want to keep my i386 DomUs which I have running on a 32-bit system now.

Marcin.