Re: Migrating from x86 to amd64 Dom0 with x86 DomUs

On Mar 13, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I've a Dom0 which runs on Intel x86 without virtualization on NetBSD 5.0
> STABLE.
> The version of XEN I'm using is 3.1.4
>
> I want to move my setup to a server with dual AMD Opterons which don't
> support AMD-V™.
>

> My questions are:
>
> - Can I upgrade my XEN 3.1.4?
> - Will I need a PAE kernel for my Dom0 ?
> - Can I run the 32 bit DomUs on a 64 bit Dom0? And if it's possible, what
> kernels would I need then (PAE, non-PAE)?

I contemplated doing that, but decided to replace my disks as well, so I just
built a new system elsewhere instead.  I can probably dig up the advice I
received if you want.

I think, though, that if you switch to an amd64 kernel you'll need an amd64
userland as well.