Re: XEN and cardbus

On 01/22/2010 03:50 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Given that it works with GENERIC and not wtih XEN3_DOM0, I would look
into what happens with pci memory space mapping.  Read the manpage for
cardbus(4).  Basically mappings are set up to put the cardbus (pci)
memory space into the host computer's memory space someplace, and the
code before what you patched is trying to avoid where physical memory is
mapped.  But on xen, the whole memory layout may be different.

Ok, I'll read cardbus(4) man page, thanks for pointer.

Why are you using PAE if you only have 1.5G of actual RAM?
I suggest trying a non-PAE XEN3_DOM0.

As Christoph already mentioned, Xen 3.3 dropped non-PAE support. And I wanted to use Xen 3.3 because of power management (on the other hand, cpufreq=xen didn't work for me, but cpufreq=dom0-kernel works, although I read it might have bad impact on DomUs, which I didn't observe, yet)

If the dom0 sees 512 MB, it probably will try to map the cardbus memory
to 1G.  But, I don't know how that mapping is effected, or interacts
with xen memory mamagement.

I'll modify amount of memory for Dom0 and see what and where changes. Maybe it will give me more clues.

-- Juraj