Re: NetBSD vs Linux

On 27/10/2009 6:06 PM, Victor Dorneanu wrote:
The standard Xen Linux domU kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen) differs from
previously installed Linux image "vmlinuz-2.6.30-amd64". Why does Xen
not recognize the 2.6.30 kernel image? Am I missing something?

To my knowledge (which is limited), the last supported kernel version from xensource is 2.6.18. After updating an archlinux domU to the latest udev, 2.6.18 was insufficient and I could no longer boot the domU.

Hunting around it appears some distros maintain a patched version of a later kernel version (debian - 2.6.26) but these changes are not yet integrated upstream (kernel.org) so options appear to be limited. I could be wrong as I haven't yet bothered to see if the latest kernel source has the options to compile as a domU (there's a mention of 2.6.30 and pv_ops on the debian page) and I definitely don't follow what's going on.

For me, the best course of action is to use the debian installer kernel (http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#DomU.28guest.29) and go through the setup to obtain the latest bits and pieces. Depending on how I update, I'll probably obtain a later kernel version.

It'd be nice if there was a site that hosted all the relevant binary kernels but as it is they're very hard to find.

If you do find something let us know :) ... at the moment this is where I'm at and 2.6.26 seems to be the latest binary kernel available as a domU, at least while setting up.

Sarton