Re: "Hotplug scripts not working" again - FIXED

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 06:29:12PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> Well, I noticed one thing that was different: the ptyfs on /dev/pts
> wasn't mounted.  I added that to fstab, and rebooted the machine, and
> I still can't connect to the console, but now at least "xm destroy foo"
> actually seems to clean up everything based on the output of xenstore-ls.
>
> Does xenconsoled have a debug mode like xenbackendd?  It doesn't seem
> to support a -d option.  I wish there were man pages for these programs. :(
>
> I wonder if this has anything to do with those recent messages I've seen
> on tech-kern that say something about pty problems (kern/41566).  Guess
> I'll need to go actually read them.

woohoo!  I got it working.

It turns out that it *was* something to do with ptys, but not related to the
problems mentioned on tech-kern.  I finally went and built a debugging version
of xenconsoled and tried tracing through it with a debugger.  The thing that
led me there was actually PR port-xen/40675, which actually turned out to be
a bit misleading: xentools 3.1.4 doesn't use /dev/pty, but it _does_ use
/dev/ptmx, which is what I didn't have.  Running:

cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV ptm

fixed the problem.

Part of the reason this was so hard to track down is that error messages
from xenconsoled don't get logged anywhere, unless you run run it in the
foreground.  (I don't know why, it calls some dolog() function, but nothing
shows up)  For anyone looking for a man page for xenconsoled:
 -V = show verion
 -v = verbose
 -i = "interactive" mode, aka don't daemonize

eric