Re: FreeBSD HVM guests?

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:50:11PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering to install NetBSD 5/Xen (64 bits) on some servers that
> currently run FreeBSD 7/amd64. I've been testing NetBSD/Xen i386 on
> older hardware (no hardware virtualization support) with NetBSD PV
> domU's; It seems to work just fine.
>
> For my purposes, however, I need FreeBSD guests, and I am unable to test
> this at the moment.
>
> I would like to know if anyone has useful feedback regarding HVM guests,
> FreeBSD in particular, and NetBSD/Xen dom0 stability and maturity in
> general.

NetBSD/Xen dom0 is stability is good; I've several servers running it,
with NetBSD PV, linux PV, linux HVM and windows HVM guests. No problems
so far.

I would expect a FreeBSD HVM guest to run just fine; it will see a
PIIX3 IDE controller and a ne2000 ethernet device. Be aware that
I/O performances won't be great using these emulated device though;
but if your FreeBSD guest doesn't do mych I/O it should be fine.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost