Re: Module support in a NetBSD domU

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 09:17:32PM -0500, Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:26:30PM -0800, Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
> >>Which API are you referring to?
> >
> >pmap(9) for example, or bus_space(9)/bus_dma(9).
>
> I don't know much about NetBSD internals.  So I'm a bit confused why
> these interfaces would affect whether modules are allowed or not.  To
> give you a bit more information, I'm building a virtualization-aware
> file system.  To simplify development, I'd like this file system to be
> in a module.  Of course, this is not necessary, but it would just
> simplify development.
>
> Since I'm not using any internal hardware interfaces (like bus_dma), I
> thought kernel modules should easily work.  Put another way, what's
> hindering the example module from working on a NetBSD domU?

Probably differences in header files between a native and Xen kernels
(the #ifdef XEN in headers, and {i386,x86,amd64}/include vs xen/include).
Now, why specifically your module doesn't work, I don't know (it depends
on what it uses, directly or indirectly). The differences I mentionned
above may also affect the module framework itself.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost