Re: boot(8) diffs

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost>
wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Andrew Gillham wrote:
>>
>> menu=Boot Xen:modules enabled;load /netbsd.dom0;multiboot xen.gz blank
>> dom0_mem=512M console=vga -- bootdev=wd1a ro console=pc
>
> This should be in a prominent place, maybe even commented out in the
> boot.cfg that's installed by default.

I like the idea of having it in the man page for boot &| installboot
and a pkgsrc message.  Commented out I'm not as sure about since
uncommenting it won't really "just work" anyway.  Even after
installing Xen it will need some tweaking to match locations, kernels,
bootdev.

Would it make sense to have a meta package that pulls in xenkernel,
xentools, a dom0 kernel and makes a /boot.cfg change?  Or at least
recommends the change?  I'm thinking something like
/usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/xen33 or similar.  That way the install scripts
could use the real installed paths of xen & dom0 kernels, the current
root file system, and maybe even hw.physmem to figure out a safe
dom0_mem= value.

For most cases a "make install" would result in a system that could be
rebooted into Xen.

-Andrew