Re: boot(8) diffs

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/~joerg/boot.diff fixes that and allows passing
>>> options to the dom0.
>>
>> Thanks, work fine here :-)
>

> Would someone be willing to post a working config to boot a xen dom0
> and a few DomU's
> I am having trouble getting this to work in place of GRUB
>
> Thank you in advance

For /boot versus grub all you need is the /boot.cfg information below.
 You should remove "blank" if you're using Joerg's latest diffs and
adjust the bootdev= value.  Booting actual domU is done by
/etc/rc.d/xendomains or "xm start" so /boot versus grub has no bearing
on starting domU, but I'll give you a working example for a domU.

/boot.cfg:
banner=Welcome to NetBSD
banner==================
banner=
banner=Please choose an option from the following menu:
menu=Boot normally:boot
menu=Boot single-user:boot -s
menu=Boot backup kernel:boot onetbsd
menu=Go to command line (advanced users only):prompt
menu=Boot Xen:modules enabled;load /netbsd.dom0;multiboot xen.gz blank
dom0_mem=512M console=vga -- bootdev=wd1a ro console=pc
timeout=5
default=5

/etc/rc.conf:
# xen
xend=YES
xenbackendd=YES
xendomains="netbsd1"
savecore=NO

/etc/ifconfig.bridge0
create
!brconfig $int add wm0 up

NOTE: change wm0 to match your ethernet.

/usr/pkg/etc/xen/netbsd1 (based on installed example):
kernel = "/u0/nfs/xen/netbsd-XEN3_DOMU.gz"
memory = 256
name = "netbsd1"
vif = [ 'mac=00:01:23:45:67:89, bridge=bridge0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/u0/xen/netbsd1,0x1,w' ]
extra = ""

NOTE: change /u0/nfs/xen and /u0/xen paths to reflect your local setup.

With this I am booting a basic -current domU and from within the domU
I can change the kernel via the nfs mount point.  I'm not sure which
version of Xen / NetBSD are involved, I need to test it more, but I
have had problems with "xm console netbsd1" not working when using
xendomains to start my domU during boot.  Manually starting it later
via "/etc/rc.d/xendomains start" works fine.  For sure I see this on a
Xen 3.3.x NetBSD/amd64 -current system, but I need to test my Xen
3.1.4 NetBSD/i386 4.0.1 system.  Anyway, just something to keep in
mind if your console isn't exactly working.

-Andrew