Re: Xen 3.3: unknown type console at xenbus0 id0 not configured

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:43:03 +0200, Juan RP <xtraeme%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've just installed Xen-3.3 on -current/amd64, seems to work
> fine all the time except for some issues that I will report
> later. One of them is that I see some of these lines reported
> in domUs:
>
> $ dmesg|grep unknown
> unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
> unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
> unknown type console at xenbus0 id 0 not configured
> $
>
> What do they mean? perhaps it's new in Xen 3.1 or up, but
> I'd like to know if they are useful or not.

Noise created by "console" entry found under domU's xenstore path, but not
used by domU's autoconf.

domU's autoconf is parsing xenstore entries to get information about some
domU's devices (required to initialize them), once xenstore communication
(aka xenbus) is active. These devices "attach to xenbus*", like xbd and
xennet (called resp. "vbd" and "vif" in xenstore).

Type xenstore-ls /local/domain/<domu_id> in dom0, and see :)

Xentools create a "console" entry in the domU's xenstore path, but the
information it contains is not consumed by domU. domU's console (xencons)
is initialized *before* xenstore, so we could grab a working console early
during boot; very helpful for debugging, especially if xenstore fails
initializing.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon