Re: boot.cfg

On Thursday 18 September 2008 01:20:56 Christoph Egger wrote:
> >> The following will now work as a boot.cfg option:
> >>
> >> menu=Boot Xen:modules enabled;load /netbsd-DOM0;multiboot xen.gz
> >> dom0_mem=65536 console=vga -- bootdev=wd0a ro console=pc
>
> I have questions to the syntax:
>
> How does it scale on specifying multiple modules and how will you pass
> arguments to _each_ module ?

IMO, humans will tend to mix up which module arguments belong to which module.
See my proposal below.

> The current syntax seems to be limited in passing arguments
> only to the _first_ module.
>
> Since multiboot lines tend to become very long lines, is it possible
> to split it over multiple lines in boot.cfg ?

May I suggest a small change to the syntax:

Specify the arguments for the module with "load" rather after the --

Above example would be then:

menu=Boot Xen:modules enabled;load /netbsd-DOM0 bootdev=wd0a ro
console=pc;multiboot xen.gz dom0_mem=65536 console=vga

This form of syntax will a) scale with more modules and b) the configuration
is easier to read & handle for both parser and the human.

Christoph