Re: Error report from attempt to run an HVM instance

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:43:01AM -0700, Michael Litchard wrote:
okay the instance is created

# /usr/pkg/sbin/xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  1024     1     r-----     57.3
hvm-netbsd                                   1   256     1     r-----    237.2

but when I did a xm create -c I got this error, and again when I tried
to attach to the console
# /usr/pkg/sbin/xm console hvm-netbsd
xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

This is not the way you connect to a HVM console, unless you configured
the HVM guest to use a serial console. By default it's the HVM's virtual
framebuffer.

The virtual framebuffer can be displayed in 2 ways, depending on the config
file:
1) using the SDL library. qemu-dm will  open a X window on the $DISPLAY
   from which xm create was run. If $DISPLAY isn't valid, I think the
   guest will start without console display.

For this, use sdl=1 in the guest config file.

2) qemu-dm act as a vnc server. You connect to the console using vncviewer
   on localhost. As you only have one guest, I guess it''ll be
   vncviewer localhost:0

For this, use vnc=1 in the guest config file.

Additionally use vnclisten='0.0.0.0'
to connect via vnc from *any* host in the network.

Use vncpasswd='mypasswd' to password protect the vnc.

Further, vnc connection can be encrypted via TLS
when you enable the options vnc-tls in /usr/pkg/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
Note, after editing this config file, you always must restart xend.

The option vnc-x509-cert-dir tells where qemu-dm finds the certificate.
qemu-dm requires a client certificate if vnc-x509-verify is enabled.

Christoph