Re: Xen/Xentools 3.3 Domain-Unnamed

Christoph Egger wrote:
On Friday 15 August 2008 08:55:55 Sarton O'Brien wrote:
I've been testing the newer xen packages and have had a few problems.

The packages themselves do not seem to care if an older xenkernel or
xentools is installed and will overwrite the existing packages. No big deal
but also not ideal :)

hmm... I thought, the CONFLICT settings in the package' Makefile handles this.

Makes for some amusing errors :)

When shutting down or rebooting a domu I'm left with:

Domain-Unnamed                               1   467     1     ---s--
46.0

In 'xm list' ... but not in 'xm top' (it displays for little while in 'xm
top' then disappears). If rebooting, the domu will not start up by itself.

I can't kill it and when doing multiple domu reboots, only one ever exists.

Everytime I try to destroy it, I see it freed some memory. So repeating
xm destroy<domain>  ; xm list  kills it finally.

There's something asynchronous within the hypervisor which obviously
needs to be debugged.

This happens for both PV and HVM guests.

It does seem to occupy memory ... but an odd amount. It seems to release
some but not all ... well, it seems to release it slowly. After two reboots
of a domu I have to wait a bit before an new instance will launch.

You can shorten the wait by repeating xm destroy<domain>  ; xm list

I also had a console problem but I'll leave that for when I see it again.

Is this that you had no console output from a PV guest having the
domain id   "1" ?  I have tracked this down to be a off-by-one bug either
in xenconsole, xenconsoled or in the kernels xenconsole driver.

uname -a
NetBSD gogeta.internal 4.99.72 NetBSD 4.99.72 (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Mon Aug 11
23:57:46 EST 2008
root%spike.internal@localhost:/usr/obj/sys/arch/amd64/compile/XEN3_DOM0  amd64

# pkg_info |grep xen
xenkernel33-3.3-18261 Xen3.3.0-rc3 Kernel
xentools33-3.3-18261 Userland Tools for Xen 3.3.x

Sarton

Thanks for the info. It seems you're on to all the problems I've had thus far.

Other than the above, everything seems to run fine. Do _you_ know of any other issues? Specifically ones that won't be resolved quickly or anything stability related? I can live with what I've encountered so far so I won't revert just yet, if that's the general extent of it.

Thanks again.

Sarton