Re: Issues booting Xen on a dual boot machine.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:26:56 am Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
> Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> > Try gunzipping the xen kernel and see if that helps ...
> >
> > Assuming it's the problem I think it is :)
> >

> Thanks, I decompressed the xen kernel and it worked.
> But this is strange, I have NetBSD 4.0 server with Xen 3.1.0 where I can
> boot gzip compiled xen kernel with no problem.
> The same with Linux, I can boot xen.gz just fine...

From what I understand, it is most likely a problem with grub, the physical
location of the kernel and the default ffs version newfs uses:

dumpfs /dev/rraid0a |grep -i ffs
cylgrp  dynamic inodes  4.4BSD  sblock  FFSv2   fslevel 4

If you are using ffsv1, I don't think, from what has been said, that this is a
problem.

When I first installed, it worked fine. Subsequent xen upgrades required me to
decompress the kernel. Originally I was on a 500MB root partition but the
problem still occurred which leads me to thing it's the ffs version combined
with a relatively stale version of grub. Way back when I was looking for an
answer myself, I seem to remember reading that grub2 was suppose to address
this issue.

Sarton