Re: vifs not working?

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 07:43:46PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Okay, after a hand from two helpful listmembers, I've managed to get
> xen to start.  dom0 seems to work just fine.  But there's something
> wrong when trying to run domU machines: I can't make the network work.
>
> The only way I've ever gotten a domU machine to start is to configure
> it with no network interfaces at all.  When trying to start one with a
> network interface, or when trying to xm network-attach an interface to
> a machine started with none, I get a long hang (three minutes?) and
> then a complaint like (this quoted from an xm network-attach; attempts
> to xm create with a nonempty vif list word it slightly differently):
>
> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.
>
> This despite specifying "script=/usr/bin/true" on the network-attach
> command line.
>
> What are these hotplug scripts and how can I make them start working?

Look at /var/log/xenbackendd.log. I suspect you'll see the error there.

the scripts are started from /usr/pkg/etc/xen/scripts/
If you want to use vifs without a bridge, but with a routing configuration
you may want to try the vif-ip script. Thay may be with either
script=vif-ip
or
vif-script=vif-ip
(I don't remember the right syntax).