Re: x86 release builds are slow

On Tue, 06 May 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 06:26:39PM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> > Because if you're like me, you'd like more people to do full builds
> > before checking in changes :)

Yes.  I don't much care how long the fast build cluster takes to build a
release, but I do care how long my laptop takes.

> This could probably be dealt in some other way. For example kernels
> that are built on the autobuild clusters, but not on developer's build.

I like that idea.  More generally, I'd like an easy way to customise the
set of kernels, miniroots, ramdisk images, bootable media, and so forth,
that get created as part of "build.sh release".  Maybe something like
this:

    RELEASE_CONFIGURATION ?= default

    RELEASE_KERNELS.default = GENERIC ALL XEN_FOO XEN_BAR XEN_BAZ
    RELEASE_FLOPPIES.default = boot boot-com boot-big
    RELEASE_CDROMS.default = boot boot-com
    RELEASE_RAMDISKS.default = ramdisk-big

    RELEASE_KERNELS.quick = GENERIC ALL
    RELEASE_FLOPPIES.default = boot-big
    RELEASE_CDROMS.default = boot
    RELEASE_RAMDISKS.default = ramdisk-big

    RELEASE_KERNELS.my-custom-system = CUSTOMKERNEL
    RELEASE_FLOPPIES.my-custom-system = # none
    RELEASE_CDROMS.my-custom-system = # none
    RELEASE_RAMDISKS.my-custom-system = ramdisk-custom

--apb (Alan Barrett)