Re: x86 release builds are slow

M Graff writes:

> Andrew Doran wrote:
> | I think that's simply fallacious. Yes, our kernels are too fat and we are
> | working on that, but you would be hard pushed today to buy a new PC
> off the
> | shelf with less than 512MB of RAM. We're speaking of virtualization, not
> | embedded systems or constrained systems that can just about support
> one OS.
>
> Fully-loaded XEN DOMU kernels also boot slower.
>
> You would be hard pressed to buy an off-the-shelf x86 system that cannot
> compile NetBSD DOMU in under 3 minutes.  We're not talking about user
> time here, we're talking about automated build time.  Who cares how long
> that takes, really?  I care about boot speed, and about binary size.
> Why should I care how long it takes to build 11 kernels on beefy build
> hardware?

Because if you're like me, you'd like more people to do full builds
before checking in changes :)  If people don't have to wait an extra
half an hour for 11 more kernels to build, they would hopefully be more
likely to at least do a full test build... (ok.. maybe I'm being a bit
optimistic here :-} )

Later...

Greg Oster