Re: Xen on NetBSD 4.0-RELEASE and Windows HVM

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:02:58 -0500
"Dinesh Nadarajah" <dinesh.nadarajah%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
If anyone has any writeup they can post on the steps and procedures in
additional to the HOWTO, that would be very much appreciated.
Well, the How To is pretty much all what you need. Perhaps the wiki entry could be helpful too:
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_set_up_a_guest_OS_using_xen3
Any gottas to watch out for?
Yes, expect to have troubles relating to devices which needs special care like audio and video (especially when using 3D functionalities of today's GPUs).

I never tried to run multimedia applications between domains, so I do not know the exact behavior. IMHO, to have full duplex capabilities with audio (for example), you will need special sound daemons, like esd or pulseaudio.
Which version of Xen should I be installing? 3.0.x or 3.1.x. I also
see from Xen's site that they have released 3.2
I think that for a laptop, you really need Xen 3.2, since (as I
understand it) Xen doesn't support laptops properly (i.e., power
management and suspend/resume) on earlier releases.
If you are willing to use HVM guests and profit from their ACPI states, yes. ACPI support was added to Xen with v3.2. You can also suspend dom0 IIRC.

With 3.1 and lower, PV guests are only suspendable/resumable if they support it.

I do not use Xen 3.2, so I may be wrong there. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jean-yves.migeon%espci.fr@localhost

"As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should
and this we should do freely and generously."
B. Franklin