Re: Running XEN under a Linux AMD64 DOM0

Christoph Egger wrote:
Carl Brewer wrote:
Christoph Egger wrote:
Luke S Crawford wrote:
David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:
     What is the state of play if I wanted to run a NetBSD DOMU under
     (someone else's) Linux AMD64 DOM0?

     I'm assuming I'd need to run current, but can I run an i386 or
     only amd64 DOMU?

Your provider needs to run a fairly recent version of Xen so 32-on-64 works, and then you need to run --current (32-on-64 is acually 32-PAE on 64) you can run the 32-PAE images, or 64-bit DomU images - but either way, you
need to be on --current.

That's true for PV guest. You can run NetBSD/i386 or NetBSD/amd64 as HVM guests. These don't need to be -current, but Xen must be very recent - 3.2.0 at minimum - or you miss necessary bugfixes, otherwise.

As a general suggestion, would you advise amd64-current or i386-current for a xen dom0 server with 6GB of RAM with HVM-aware cpu's to get the best of a modern Intel C2D server? Core2duo 8200 is hvm aware and I believe i386-cuurent is PAE capable also? There'd be little/no performance impact from using HVM?

I would advice amd64-current. With PAE, you don't have the full 6GB RAM
available due to bounce buffers.

Even with trickery needed to install grub from pkgsrc?

BTW, is there some sane-ish way to get i386 stuff to compile from pkgsrc on amd64 boxes? It's essentially the same O/S, some mk.conf switch to say 'if i386, but this is amd64, cross-compile'?