Re: domU-current "root device" not found with dom0-4.0_STABLE

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:52:15 am Brad Pitney wrote:
> >  'root=' is linux specific, nbsd uses 'bootdev=' or just none at all. If
> > you ever need to override the autodetection, use bootdev, or modify your
> > kernel config.
>
> bootdev is right, although I don't have this problem with any of my
> DomU's, only Dom0,

I've never needed it for a domu either, never-the-less, the facility is
there :)

My only use of the option is also in my dom0 to prevent sd0 from overriding
wd0 on boot.

> >  It's looking like this question is going to be a common one until the
> > docs are sorted .... an no I'm not blaming anyone ... and yes I'm still
> > considering it ;)
>
> I've an addition if you're wanting to add more:
>
> if [ -r /kern/xen/xenbus ]; then
>         if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/xend ]; then
>                 /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/xend start
>         fi
>         if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/xenbackendd ]; then
>                 /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/xenbackendd start
>         fi
>         if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/xend ]; then
>                 /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/xendomains start
>         fi
> fi
>
> in your /etc/rc.local saves polluting /etc/rc.d and nicer when boot a
> non-xen netbsd kernel

Hey, I said I was considering it! :)

I can see your intention but I don't think everyone would agree that it's
classed as polluting. You can set mk.conf and rc.conf options to accommodate
rc scripts outside of /etc/rc.d. Incorporating something like this into a
some kind of native xen distribution might be useful but as is, you still
need to declare the relevent variables in rc.conf with the only side effect
being that the xen services fail to start on a non-xen kernel.

The problem with the docs isn't so much about addition as it is about
modification and subtraction ;)

Sarton