Re: Booting a NetBSD 4 domU on a Linux dom0?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:40:37AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 4:19 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >The changes to use a linux dom0 should only be marginal, and you'll
> >spot
> >them easily (device names in the config file, mostly) if you
> >already have
> >a linux domU running.
>
>   Yup.  Tho the Linux domU's we're running are being fully
> virtualized, rather than having any knowledge of Xen.

OK, so you could do the same with NetBSD then. In this case a 32bit domU
should run, as well as a 64bit one.

> >This I don't know, I've never tried it on a 64bit OS. I ran NetBSD/
> >i386
> >on a para-virtualized guest on a i386 dom0, and it's as fast as a
> >native Xen
> >guest for CPU-bound tasks. I/O are slow.
>
>   Hmm.  I may be crossing terms here.  I think what I mean by
> paravirtualized is what you're calling "native Xen".  ie, a domU that
> knows it's on Xen and uses the hypervisor to get basically direct
> access to the hardware, rather than working through "virtual" devices.

OK, we got it in opposite.

> >No, we don't have 64bit support in Xen yet.
>
>   K.  That's something that's fully possible, right, just not yet
> working?  Is it something folks are working on?

Yes, it has even been proposed as a google summer of code project this year.
If it's not picked up I'll have to find the time to work on it myself :)