Re: Run the MSWindows on wd0g as a domU

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 11:46:36PM +0100, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> I'd like to try xen on my Dell D420 that has the hardware virtualization
> module. My question is : is there any known issue to run an already
> installed Windows instance inside netbsd/dom0 ?

Yes, the same issue that you can get on an Intel Mac if you try to use
your Bootcamp Windows XP inside Paralles:
1.) Windows might not boot because of missing drivers.
2.) Windows will ask you to reactive everytime because the hardware
    was changed. And Microsoft will only let you active one set of
    hardware over the Internet every 3 (or 4?) month.

> ... the idea is to be able to boot the windows when I need my 3G
> card and to not have 2 windows install.

1.) Sharing one Windows partition between the physical and a virtual
    machine will result in the problems mentioned above.
2.) How do you want to access the 3G card from a Xen virtual machine?
    NetBSD's Xen3 implementation supports neither PCI nor USB
    passthrough.

        Kind regards