Re: progress on xen3 HVM support

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:34:09AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >attached is a snapshot of a xentools30-vmx package, which should install
> >on top
> >of xentools30 the necessary bits for starting HVM guests. This is based on
> >patches sent to me by Pierrick Brossin. It's good enough to start a linux
> >bootable CD up to the X graphical installer (I didn't try to install it
> >yet).
> >It needs a very recent current kernel.
> >
> >Known bugs
> >- as is, qemu-dm won't start. I renamed it and remplaced with a csh script
>
> I'm not following Xen as close as I'd like to, and as such your posting
> raised two questions for me that I was able to google. Maybe you can
> confirm my understanding:
>
> 1) HVM = Hardware Virtual Machine, a Common Interface for VT-x/VT-i and
>          AMD SVM CPUs[1]

Correct.

> 2) Qemu-dm = Qemu[2] Device Model - a modified(?) Qemu that's used to
>              emulate instruction sets for real-mode support[3] - I guess
>              to run Xen inside Xen

No.  qemu is used as the back-end for HVM domains, providing it a
"hardware" to run on.  The part where qemu emulates a CPU is left out,
only the hardware environment is kept.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks