Re: disk problems with xen3

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 11:01:20AM +0300, Ari Suutari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did some experimenting with new xen 3 support.
> Dom0 boots up ok, but I'm having problems with booting
> up domU. My config file is like this:
>
> netxen# more nbsd
> kernel = "/xen/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_U"
> memory = 128
> name    = "nbsd"
> vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0' ]
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/wd0e,wd0d,w' ]
>
> If I comment out the disk entry and start domain
> with xm create -c nbsd, netbsd installer starts up
> as expected. However, when trying to boot with disk
> entry, I got errors like:
>
> Error: device 3 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.
>
> After doing some digging I found out that scripts/block is called
> with $xstatus values 5 and 1 instead of 6 and 2. I modified the

This is not normal. state 1 is when the xbd is just created by the 'xm create',
before the kernel sees it. It should quickly be moved to 2 by kernel.
The same way, the kernel should move state 5 to 6 when the xbd is gone.

I've seen this after issues with xend, where it looked like the kernel and
userland were using a different xenstore (so kernel didn't see changes
from userland and vice-versa). The only way I know about this is to reboot
dom0.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost