Re: NetBSD/Xen Howto

some examples:

1.
First do a NetBSD/i386 installation <http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-inst.html> of current or 3.0_BETA as you usually do on i386 hardware.
change to something like
First do a NetBSD/i386 installation <http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-inst.html> of the stable Release 3.0, current or 3.0_BETA as you usually do on i386 hardware.

edit:
i do not have any experience about current and 3.0_BETA.
So it would be interesting if there is someone who cofirm that the way to install, still is the same (normally it should be).

2.
Binary snapshots are available from ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/.
at the bsdforen.de wiki (German) i wrote something like:
Actual it is recommended to use the i386pkg-3.0.iso <ftp://iso3.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/3.0/i386pkg-3.0.iso> image.

edit:
Where "i386pkg-3.0.iso <ftp://iso3.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/3.0/i386pkg-3.0.iso>" is a link to ftp://iso3.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/3.0/i386pkg-3.0.iso For the original howto (English) the link to ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/3.0/i386pkg-3.0.iso could be used

3.
In the moment i am a bit confused because of the list of machine architectures for sysutils/xenkernel20. The way I understand the howto it is only possible to run Xen only on i386 (i686).
Is it now possible to run it on the other machine architectures too?
shouldn't the |xen-2.0.7-install.tgz | be recommended (instead to say |xen-2.0.x-install.tgz)|?

4.
How about to show an exampe for mounting /kern within fstab. For example:
kernfs /kern kernfs rw

5.
I miss information of a few more xm commands. For example (if all these are supported with NetBSD):
xm help
xm console (i know this works)
xm balloon (as far i know it's not supportet yet - Manuel?)
xm destroy
xm info
As far as i know the commands 'xm shutdown', 'xm shutdown -R' and 'xm shutdown -H' need the name or ID of the domain. This is Information is not in the howto and someone new to NetBSD and/or Xen could be confused. Also the key combination Ctrl + ] should be used to change from a domU to the dom0. Especially if you work local.

6.
Maybe a few more words to this part:
# Kernel image file. This kernel will be loaded in the new domain.
kernel = "/home/bouyer/netbsd-XENU"
#kernel = "/home/bouyer/netbsd-INSTALL_XENU"

Especially that the second entry is needed to install NetBSD in a new domU, so the hash should be set to the first entry instead to the second one for installation. Also that the netbsd-INSTALL_XENU kernel is part of the xenkernel20 package.

7.
Is it really necessary to show the |/usr/pkg/etc/xen/vif-bridge| for xvif?.? configuration file? This will available when you did install xentools20. Maybe it is enough to write down that this file could be found at /usr/pkg/etc/xen.

8.
"load the INSTALL_XENU kernel "
exact:
"load the netbsd-INSTALL_XENU kernel "

9.
Maybe a reference to never execute the shutdown command inside a domU

//@Manuel:
Would it be possible to integrate the command execution of "cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV xen" into the xentools20,
or maybe better into the xenkernel20 installation?

These are just some examples for changes to the howto which could be discussed here.

Greetings,
Rainer