Re: xm shutdown problem (and german translation of the NetBSD/xen-Howto)

Manuel Bouyer schrieb:

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 09:57:18PM +0200, Rainer Brinkmöller wrote:
My domain0 and two further domains work fine.
Also the network connections do what i want to (by using bridge such you did explain - thanks).
Only the halt and shutdown commands makes me sleepless now

If i execute the command "halt -p" in the new domains and wait till the last message,
nothing happens until i press the enter button.
Then i get this output: on the screen

************************ REMOTE CONSOLE EXITED ************************
(54, 'Connection reset by peer')
Error: Error connecting to xend, is xend running?
$

I press the enter key again and next i get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/pkg/sbin/xm", line 9, in ?
  main.main(sys.argv)
[...]

Yes, I get this too. This is an issue in the Xen tools.

Now i get the command prompt i want. But also xend seem to be stop while the error above.

It should not. Does 'xm list' still work ?
I cannot reproduce the situation. Maybe it was an misunderstandig because of the output:
Error: Error connecting to xend, is xend running?
I always did start xend again when i read that.
Yes, 'xm list' still work so xend is running.

If i try to execute the command "xm shutdown -H dom1" from doamin0 nothing happen.

Do you get something on console or /var/log/message in dom1 ?
Not on console, no. I am not sure about the logs. There are a lot messages but i don't know if these
are depend on it. If you're interested in, i could send you my log files.

I found your mail (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2005/04/18/0022.html) but i don't know how this can help me. What do i have to do exactly to update to this changes?

You need a kernel newer than 2005/04/18, add
powerd=YES
in /etc/rc.conf, and 2 scripts in /etc/powerd/scripts: power_button and
reset_button. These should be installed by the default install.
Now i am using xen 2.0.6 and the NetBSD 3 XEN0 and XENU from daily 200505060000Z.
This seems to work fine. Particularly the 'xm shutdown ...' works fine now.
Only the messages by pressing the Enter key still appear when i stop by 'halt -p' and 'xm shutdown -H ...'.
Do you think that will be changed? It really don't look pretty :)

Greetings, Rainer