Re: Xen 2.0 xennet_watchdog

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:55:53AM +0200, Florian Heigl wrote:
> > > hmmm - I'd be very happy for some pointers, i.e. that this will be
> > > resolved if I upgrade the Xen version I use. :)
> >
> > Probably not. This panic indicates that the xennet backed (on your linux
> > host)
> > failed to handle the packet in less than 5s. This should probably not
> > happen.
> > Is the corresponding interface on the linux host up ?
>
> i think this would be a yes - there's only one active nic in that system.

I meant, the vifx.x interface

> > > vif     = [ 'mac=FE:FD:00:DE:AD:19' ]
> >
> > Maybe you need a bridge= here too ? I'm not sure if the interface is
> > automatically added to a bridge if not specified.
>
> vif14.0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

It's down. This is probably why if doesn't handle packets from the guest.
NetBSD's xen0 will drop packets in such case, so the guest won't panic.
I'll change xennet to handle this case more gracefully.

> an interface for the domainU was added automatically, but won't be bridged
> until I set the option.
> setting the option won't work:
> vif     = [ 'mac=FE:FD:00:DE:AD:19, brigde=xen-br0'  ]
> Error: Invalid vif specifier: mac=FE:FD:00:DE:AD:19, brigde=xen-br0
>
> and the reason got obvious when I compared my system to the xen-live
> cd: I don't have the interface xen-br0 in my domain0.

Hum. From what I remember, the install script in the xen distribution should
do the needed changes to create the bridge interface (or give instructions
on what to do, I don't remember precisely).

Maybe your linux kernel doesn't have support for bridges ?