Re: vax wscons setting questions

Den 2024-02-10 kl. 19:06, skrev Izumi Tsutsui:
ragge@ wrote:

Den 2024-02-04 kl. 15:13, skrev Izumi Tsutsui:
change wscons tty names to ttyE* to avoid clashes with the pty namespace
I think we no longer use pty in /dev (using ptyfs instead)
so there is no conflict, but I wonder if it's worth for vax
to use ttyE[0-7] for wscons in ttys(5) and remove "vt0" target
for ttyw[0-7] from MAKEDEV.
IIRC ttyE conflicts with some other serial card on Vax (which is
probably never used as well :-) )
Umm, I didn't notice ttyE[0-7] (and tty[FGH][0-7]) were
already used (or reserved) by 'dmf*' in src/etc/etc.vax/MAKEDEV.conf.

Should I revert "adding wscons in all_md" in MAKEDEV.conf?
Or is it worth to consider to change device node names
for 4th (and further) dmf(4)?

It looks dmf has never been enabled in GENERIC
 https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/683a9a8544acf3ab26d2e4eb532682df365fbe65

and even src/sys/arch/vax/uba/dmf.c has not been ported from 4.4BSD?
 https://man.netbsd.org/vax/dmf.4
Hm, I try to recapture more about this :-)

I used DMF32 on 750's in the mid-90's.  Compiling the driver from 4BSD was trivial back then, but it could not be checked in in NetBSD due to the licensing issues.

There is no need to revert anything, better to try to be as similar as possible as other ports.

     NOTE: This driver has not been ported from 4.4BSD yet.
Oh, it looks my 4.4BSD-Lite2 CD-ROM doesn't contains vax/uba/dmf.c,
but now it's in public as CSRG repo?
 https://svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/sys/vax/uba/dmf.c?revision=49759
 https://svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/sys/vax/uba/dmx.c?revision=49759
I asked core@ some years ago if the MBA routines from 4BSD could be checked in, but they responded that the licensing issues were unfortunately still unclear.