Re: PSA: Clock drift and pkgin

On Thu, 2023-12-21 13:52:37 +0100, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:

> > >   Well, 1024 is already the maximum AFAIK.
> >
> > Eh, that was expressed misleadingly :(  I ment: It recognized trouble
> > keeping time, why didn't it increase poll rate (ie. _reducing_ the
> > poll _interval_ from its maximum of 1024 seconds)?
>
> ntp usually don't unless it is actively trying to get into sync with a
> source. At which time it wants to go more frequently for a while.
> To me it looks more like it's not syncing at any time, and have basically
> resigned itself to just on a regular bases pull information out.

If it never locked, I would have expected it to stay at the 64sec poll
interval. If there isn't specific configuration to set 1024sec as the
min interval, that's a strong indicator that ntpd thought to be able
to properly discipline kernel's timekeeping.

> > That's just a GENERIC kernel? You can easily cross-build NetBSD on any
> > Linux box and copy over the kernel to the NetBSD system. I usually
> > just let it build on my CI host and fetch whatever I need from stored
> > build artifacts. NetBSD will use the host compiler to build its
> > internal toolchain (GCC 10 based) and use that to actually cross-build
> > the release artifacts.  Feel free to drop me patches, you'll get free
> > compilation-as-a-service. :)
>
> As soon as I have completed my native build, I plan to start digging into
> the whole time issue as well. It seems clear it's a problem not only on
> something like simh, but on real hardware as well. So we might very well
> also have multiple problems... Next week I will be able to fire up my real
> 4000/90, to avoid any issues by simh.

I have a /96 readily sitting around here. Maybe I'd copy a recent
install ISO to its PiSCSI and let it install?

MfG, JBG