Re: NVAX page format (Was: NetBSD/vax 512MB support)

On Wed, 31 May 2023 at 16:43, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:

> On 2023-05-31 17:48, David Brownlee wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2023 at 13:14, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:
> >>
> >> But simh actually only emulates a rather narrow subset of VAXen, and
> >> none based on the NVAX as far as I can remember.
> >
> > Ahh.. it's just the KA49 in the 4000/90 which was NVAX, not the
> > earlier M60. My mistake.
> > That makes it more challenging, though finding someone interested in
> > implementin in simh could make a good collaborating project...
>
> Well. As far as I know, simh don't emulate any VAX 4000 at all.
> It don't go beyond the 3900, if we talk small VAXen.
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMH#Digital_Equipment_Corporation
>
> The list of VAXen is really limited. And mostly really old models.

Well, I think it's safe to say that _all_ VAXen are really old models
by now :),  but simh has made it as far as 1991 with the KA46 & KA48
(VAXstation 4000 M60 & VLC), which is pretty close to the end of the
range, and just leaves NVAX/NVAX+ in terms of MicroVAX/VAXstations

> [...]
>
> Oh, and maybe the VAX 10000 could also have more than 512 meg. But those
> are the only two series I can think of where it would be reasonable,
> since they were the ones that shared the actual bus design and other
> hardware with Alpha.

I wonder if anyone ever took out the 21064 and put an NVAX+ back into
any of the upgraded boxes :)

David