CMD MSCP SCSI problems? (again?)

I've just finished installing NetBSD 9.3 on a VAX 4000-705A using a CMD CQD-220 MSCP SCSI host adapter. I put them install disk image on a ZuluSCSI board, it booted and ran the installer just fine, but when trying to boot the newly-created system disk (also implemented via the ZuluSCSI SSD) it fails to find the controller and thus cannot mount its filesystems.

I remember something like this from probably twenty years ago, but I thought it was long since fixed.

The disk subsystem works fine; I installed VMS on it this morning via the same mechanism and it's rock solid.

  Does anyone have any suggestions?

             Thanks,
             -Dave

--