Re: DSSI and VAX 4000-200

On 2021-01-16 02:47, Charles Dickman wrote:
I used a KFQSA and an RF71 with a PDP-11/73 on BSD2.11 for a while and it worked fine. I used a KA655 with it for configuration. The drive has its own console. Very cool when I first saw it.

Cool. I almost suspected it should work, but I have never heard anyone before who actually tried it.

My research on KZQSA is that it is SHAC controller with the sector buffer on the Qbus. My understanding is that SHAC controller is DSSI and SCSI controller. There is information in some VAX manual (KA660?). I speculate that DEC said the controller was no good for disks because the performance would be so bad. At this point no open source drive exists for it either.

And since there isn't even any documentation at this point, it's unlikely to write a driver right now. So it's mostly useless.

I have never heard anyone admit to having a RQZX1. They must be very rare, but as a DEC supported MSCP Qbus SCSI adapter it must be good.

I have one. And I know some companies who used/use them. I actually haven't tested mine, since I have CMD controllers as well, which I'm already using.
But at some point, I should take it for a spin.

I seem to remember reading once somewhere that the CMD controllers are better than the RQZX1 when it comes to performance.

I have used CMD and Viking SCSI controllers with much luck and there are SCSI to ATA adapters that let you use modern ATA drives.

I use CMD with fairly modern SCSI drives. Also works just fine. Just need an adapter for the connector.
However, >8GB drives just get capped at 8GB for RSX. :-)
(Not using SCSI any Qbus or Unibus VAX.)

  Johnny