Re: DSSI and VAX 4000-200

On 2020-07-19 15:06, James Robinson wrote:
I know the on board DSSI controller is not supported. But can I use a Q-Bus version (m7769) and jumper over to the internal bus to get access to my drives?

Not sure what jumpers you are thinking about, but yes, the KFQSA is just a normal MSCP controller from the computer point of view. So it works (but see below).

I think I would need to configure it as controler 6 because the SHAC is at 7.

Not sure what you are talking about here. The KFQSA sits on the Qbus, and connects to DSSI disks. If you plan to connect both DSSI controllers to the disks, then yes, one should be unit 6 and the other 7.

Or should I just get a SCSI card and not use the internal drives.

Obviously all up to you... :-)

Or better yet, help finish the port for the SHAC controller.... :-)

That would also be nice. I have had a long term plan to get the whole CI code from Ultrix ported over to NetBSD. Obviously this might not be possible to distribute as is, since it's copyrighted. But it would be a start. However, I have been too busy with other things, and meanwhile NetBSD have deteriorated some.

Anyway, I happen to have a KFQSA, and last I tested it with NetBSD, it ran for a while, but NetBSD got stuck after some time. I think there are some bugs somewhere that either plays badly with the KFQSA, or else are buggy in some other way (having two UDA-50 on two separate Unibuses on an 8650 also do not work).

So there is some chance that you will not find things very usable in the end anyway, even with the KFQSA.

  Johnny