Re: COMPAT_IBCS2 on Vax

On 2017-08-03 10:24, Maxime Villard wrote:
Le 02/08/2017 à 23:02, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
It started as SVR4 i386. IBCS2 ELF was renamed to compat_svr4, and
compat_ibcs2 was used for i386 SVR3.

I think that the ibcs2 evaluated as an alias for SVR3. I don't know
whether somebody reused this name on original VAX UNIX.

I proposed to keep it as it is, because there are more aliases like i386
that have not clear meaning.

Alright, thanks for the archeological digging.

I still I'm not sure what exactly this all means: if compat_ibcs2 is in
fact
compat_svr3, and if the real iBCS2 implementation is in fact
compat_svr4, what
is compat_svr4 doing on sparc/sparc64?

Again, iBCS2 is a standard for x86; does this standard happen to be
compatible
with the sparc-like SVR4? Sorry if I'm being dumb, but this does not seem
obvious to me at all.

Reading up on iBCS2, it seems like a misnomer to have that name for the kernel compatibility. If I understand iBCS2 right, it's both a ABI (which would then be SVR3?) and also specifications for file system layout and other details, which is not at all controlled by any kernel option. So, even with compat_ibcs2, we might not be compatible with iBCS2.

Like I said before. SVR3 and SVR4 makes more sense to me. iBCS(2) is other stuff that don't make sense around here, in my opinion.

	Johnny